I’ve said on many occasions, cooking for my family and friends is one of my favorite ways to show them how much I love them. I can’t think of a better “holiday” than Valentine’s Day to prepare a special food dish that is sure to warm their heart. I really enjoy making risotto, especially in the Winter. It’s pretty cold and rainy in the Pacific Northwest so a bowl of comfort food always feels warm and cozy to the soul. This week I felt inspired to take my Risotto recipe (I’ve been tweaking it for a few years) and add fresh, healthy beets to get a Valentine’s feel as well as a healthy boost! I wasn’t sure how the color red would translate into the dish but the final look was beautifully appealing and appetizing. The deep red crimson color of the beets was absolutely gorgeous!
I’ll be honest, it makes for messy red hands and fingers during the prep but it easily washes off with dish soap and the recipe is so easy it’s worth it!
If you’re looking for some Valentine gift inspiration, this will make a beautiful and delicious personal present from your own hands and heart. I’m a latecomer to beets myself but this dish will win over any daring beet skeptic…especially when you add the 2 cheeses! So yummy!
This Beet Risotto is filled with amazing flavor, health and beauty! Beets are low in calories and a great source of vitamins, nutrients and fiber-with health benefits ranging from assisting in lowering blood pressure to helping fight inflammation. They’re a great Valentine’s gift for a heart you want to help keep healthy!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 3-4 medium beets, peeled and shredded (easily done against a hand shredder)
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup of red wine
- Approximately 5-6 cups of Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup of goat cheese
- 2/3 cup of fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Melt butter and add oil in heavy large skillet/wok or Dutch oven saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions to coat, then beets and garlic. Sauté until onion and beets are soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in rice and let rice get a bit toasty.
- Then add wine and mix well until dissolved into the rice-onion-garlic-beet mixture.
- Add about half of the broth first. Increase heat; bring to a small boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Then slowly keep adding broth by 1/2 cup until it’s absorbed. Simmer uncovered until rice and beets are a desired texture. About 20-25 minutes.
- Add goat cheese and stir until completely dissolved.
- Shut off heat and add parmesan cheese.
- Spoon into white bowls to appreciate its beautiful color. Sprinkle with fresh basil and or Italian parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese. Enjoy❤️
For an even more colorful and healthy bowl, you can add roasted beets and brussel sprouts.
Sharon Caldwell Peddie is also the Author of “Grow Yourself Beautiful: A Smart Girl’s Guide to Following Her Heart and Focusing on Her Inner Joy”. For more information on her book visit www.sharoncaldwellpeddie.com or https://www.amazon.com/Grow-Yourself-Beautiful-Following-Focusing/dp/1532057342/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=grow+yourself+beautiful&qid=1567376389&s=gateway&sr=8-1 or https://sharonpeddieblog.comhttps://www.pinterest.com/sharonpeddie/pins/
Anything contained in my blog that is written or shared by me is just my personal view. If you find inspiration in any of my content, please be responsible, safe and legal.